Sunday, January 29, 2006

Divination and tarot

This week I wanted to discuss the act of divination and in particular the use of tarot cards as a divinatory tool. For starters it would help to understand what the word divination means.

Basically, divination means to reveal the hidden, or to reveal the future through supernatural or magical means. Using a tool such as tarot, someone could get a sense of what lies ahead if they continue along a current path. There are many opinions on what the cards actually reveal and how to work with that information. While it is common to believe that the cards reveal a future set in stone, unchangeable, this is to forget that we have free will. We have the power to choose something different if we dislike the future that is revealed.

Almost everyone has at least heard of the tarot, even if what they have heard is mistaken. The media generally portrays the tarot as revealing a characters impending doom, or some other negative revelation. This paints a picture of the tarot that is highly unlike the way it is actually used.

A typical tarot deck consists of 78 cards divided into 2 large groups: 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana cards. The Minor Arcana is nearly identical to the playing cards we use today, consisting of 4 suits with Ace-10 and 4 (instead of 3) court cards. It is generally believed that tarot originated as a card came. At the most basic level, the Major Arcana represents the big issues and themes that are universal in life. The Minor Arcana, on the other hand, represents the little things, the ups and downs, that happen during life.

The two most well-recognized tarot decks are the Rider-Waite and Crowley's Thoth Tarot. Both decks are steeped in occult correspondences and symbology; however, Crowley is generally recommended for more advanced searchers as the symbols are overwhelming in this deck. These are far from being the only tarot decks though; indeed, there are many, many more. Not all decks are full of symbols, but it is up to the individual which deck they use. There is really only one rule for determining a deck to use: if it works for you and you work well with it, if the readings you get feel accurate to you, then it's a deck for you.

I have a fairly sizeable collection of tarot decks, but I definitely don't use them all. The main one I'm using now is The Quest Tarot. Other decks that I will use occasionally are: the Sacred Circle Tarot, the Voyager Tarot, and the Haindl Tarot.

For the most part, I have only read for myself as a way of self-analysis and method of self-discovery. I'm a bit anxious about reading for others because as a reader, you have an ethical code to keep in mind, and that means you be as honest as possible. I just don't feel so comfortable at reading that I feel I could do justice to others in reading for them. But I might start because practice does help.

I'd be interested in continuing this topic, but I want to know what issues or aspects readers would like to know about. If I don't know I'll gladly try and find an answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home